Open Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

What do I have to do for open enrollment?
The only thing that must be done for open enrollment this year is to complete the 
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Employee Enrollment Form. Even if you want to decline the benefit, the form must be completed and turned in by November 30th. Currently, this is an annual requirement. The fillable form can be signed and submitted electronically via email to

Is our insurance administrator staying HMA?
Can I opt-out of the district health insurance plan and receive a cash incentive?
Yes, if you are a classified employee.
Classified employees who have medical coverage through another source may opt-out of the District-provided medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage by providing to the District proof of coverage. The District will then provide the employee with a taxable benefit in the amount of $200.00 per month. The employee may opt-out at open enrollment or during a qualifying life event. Employees who have medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage under another Ashland School District employee, does not qualify for this opt-out benefit. 
Opt Out Form

Do you receive all of your FSA money at the beginning of the calendar year on a debit card?
The Flexible Spending Account is front loaded onto a debit card. You will receive your annual enrollment amount in your Health Equity account in January. The entire amount is available to you on January 1st. Contributions will be deducted from your paycheck in 12 monthly payments.
What happens to the money in my Flexible Spending Account (FSA) at the end of the year?

  • The last day to accrue expenses for your Health Equity FSA account is December 31st. You have until March 31st to claim the funds for the plan year. The time between January 1st and March 31st is called the "run out" period.

  • You can rollover a maximum of $550 of your FSA. An account will automatically be created for you in next year with the unused funds which will be available for your use on April 1st

  • Any amount above $550 not claimed by March 31st will be forfeited.

  • FSA accounts require annual elections. You must decline or enroll each year.

What about balances in the Dependent Care Accounts (DCRA)?

  • There is no rollover available for dependent care accounts. Unused funds will be forfeited.

  • All funds must be expensed by December 31st and claimed by March 31st.

How do I find out my balance on my FSA or DCRA accounts?

  • Call 1-877-472-8632 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

  • Get the Health Equity Mobile app for your phone. It's available through iTunes or Google Play.

  • Log on to

Do FSA and DCRA accounts reimburse the same?

  • FSA accounts are front loaded. The yearly amount elected will be available to you on January 1st. Example: You elect an annual amount of $1,200. You receive 12 paychecks per year. $1,200 would be available on January 1st. Each month starting with your January 31st paycheck you will have $100 taken out of each paycheck pre-taxed.

  • The maximum reimbursement you can get is equal to the current account balance in your DCRA account. Example: you choose a monthly deposit of $100. The $100 will not be available to you until the 1st of February after it has been deducted from your January paycheck. The care that your dependent received in January can then be reimbursed after February 1st.

How do I add my domestic partner to my health insurance?
There are special forms that you and your domestic partner need to fill out and sign before you can add a domestic partner to your health insurance. For additional information and to obtain forms, please contact Sue Herring in Employee Benefits, at 541-201-3246 or