Athletic Eligibility & Academic Policy
ASHLAND HIGH SCHOOL STANDARDS FOR ELIGIBILITY
Students will be eligible to be on the team and practice based on the above state standards. However, to be eligible to participate in competition on a weekly basis, student-athletes will be required to have 5 classes in which they have a grade of “C” or better and no “F’s.” Our Academic Coaches will monitor grades on a weekly basis. Students who are not meeting the standards will be required to meet with them twice weekly to work on individualized plans for improving their academic performance. In certain cases, they may allow students to play who are below the district standard but are working hard and showing satisfactory progress toward meeting standard.
Academic Coach Job Description
1. Monitor grades of all students who are required to meet minimum academic standards for eligibility to participate in extra-curricular activities on a weekly basis.
AHS Participation Requirements
2. Work with participants who are at risk for not meeting academic eligibility standards to develop individualized plans to improve their performance in the classroom.
3. Monitor and adjust individual improvement plans as needed.
4. Communicate with teachers of students under his or her tutelage to get specific data for areas of improvement.
5. Supervise extra-curricular study session 2 to 3 times per week.
6. Connect identified students with adult and peer tutors for assistance.
7. Keep adult supervisors of various extra-curricular activities informed of the academic progress of the participants in their programs.
8. Work with parents of identified students to share information and mutually support goals.
9. Work directly with Athletic Director and office staff to develop the extra-curricular academic program.
10. Work with counseling department to make sure all students are registered for at least 5 classes.
11. Work with front office to monitor attendance of athletes.
12. Act as liaison between academic and extra-curricular programs.
13. Identify students who are involved in extra-curricular programs with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher for recognition.
14. Tabulate team grade point averages for recognition.
STATE STANDARDS FOR ELIGIBILITY
- Athletes must be registered at AHS and enrolled in 5 credit classes. Students who reside outside of Ashland city limits are required to pay a participation fee due to the Activities Levy. Fees must be paid before participation in practice or games.
- All athletes must have a physical examination form on file in the Athletic Office. Physicals are required in the 9th and 11th grades. In the 10th and 12th grades, an annual history form must be completed and filed in the Athletic Office.
- No student may participate in the athletic program without insurance coverage. Participants who do not have a family medical insurance policy, must purchase a school insurance plan at the high school's main office.
- The Athletic Participation Contract outlines behavioral expectations for AHS athletes. Both the athlete and his/her parent are required to read the pamphlet and sign the contract.
- All athletes must purchase a Student Body Card in the main office.
Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) state academic guidelines for participation in athletics:
- The student must have earned 5 credits in the previous semester. This does not apply to incoming freshman for fall and winter sports.
- The student must be enrolled in and passing 5 credits in the current semester.
- The student must be making satisfactory progress toward graduation, defined as having completed 9 credits prior to their sophomore year, 21 prior to junior year and 35.5 prior to senior year.
OSAA and AHS Basic Eligibility Rules:
- Must not be older than 19 on August 15.
- Must reside in the Ashland school district or be on an inter-district transfer. All transfer students must check to see if they meet OSAA requirements.
- Must have passed five AHS credit classes the previous semester. This does not apply to incoming Freshman for fall and winter sports.
- Must be enrolled in, and currently passing, five AHS credit courses.
- Athletes may participate in only one AHS sport per season.
- In order to participate in an athletic contest, the student MUST be in full attendance for all classes that day.