AHS Athletics and Activities Code of Conduct
The following guidelines are part of the Athletic Participation Contract signed by all athletes. By signing the contract, the athlete agrees to the terms outlined below. A signed contract is required to participate in AHS sports and is included in the FamilyID registration process.
Ashland High School Athletics & Activities Code of Conduct
From the first official practice through the completion of the season, participants in AHS athletics/activities commit to:
- ATTENDANCE: Unless PRE-EXCUSED for a valid reason, a student-athlete must be in attendance for all of his or her scheduled classes in order to participate in athletics on that same day. If an absence from school is due to illness, the student may not participate on the same day.
- TRANSPORTATION: Participants must ride to events and return home using district transportation unless their parents assume responsibility for them, either by being present or through a note designating another adult to transport. Students may not drive themselves to or from away competitions.
- ELIGIBILITY: Athletics/activities participants are to conform to the rules of scholastic eligibility as defined by the Oregon School Activities Association, as well as the participation and training obligations of the Ashland School District and its coaching staff. Weekly participation in competition will be earned by meeting district academic standards of a current minimum of five grades of “C” or better and no failing grades.
- EQUIPMENT: Athletics/activities participants are responsible for all school owned equipment issued to them. They will be held monetarily accountable for school equipment that is lost or damaged outside of the scope of participation. Future participation may be withheld if restitution is not made.
- SPORTSMANSHIP: Participants are expected to show respect toward teammates, opponents, coaches, and game officials at all times. The school is fined a minimum of $100 by the OSAA when an athlete is ejected from a contest. In the event that this occurs, the student and their family will be responsible to fulfill this financial obligation.
- HAZING/BULLYING/HARASSMENT/ASSAULT: Behavior of this type will NOT be tolerated by members of our athletic/activities programs and may result in suspension or dismissal from the team. An individual or group who engage in humiliation, intimidation, pressure to perform dangerous/harmful activities as a prerequisite to inclusion, excluding or singling out individuals in a negative manner, and/or engage in cyber bullying will be in violation. Harassment and/or assault of others, sexual or in any form, could also lead to the aforementioned consequences.
- GOOD CITIZEN OBLIGATION: Participants in athletics and/or activities programs shall conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the high standards and ideals of their team, school, and community. Violations of conduct that are unbecoming of an athlete will lead to disciplinary action up to and including suspension or removal from team.
- DRUGS, ALCOHOL, & TOBACCO: Participants in AHS athletics and/or activities programs commit to not use, possess, transmit, or be under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, including vaping of any kind, 24 hours per days and 7 days per week for the entirety of the season. Participants found in violation of this agreement, will be subject to the following:
FIRST OFFENSE: Student is suspended from participation in 1/3 of the scheduled season contests/performances, including not being allowed on team sideline/bench during contest/performance. If less than 1/3 of the regular season remains at the time of the infraction, the penalty will include all post season competition and may carry over into the next activity season in which the student participates. The individual may not participate in any activity with the team for one calendar week. The student-athlete must enroll in a drug and alcohol education program before returning to the team.
SECOND OFFENSE: If there is a second violation of the policy in the same school year it will result in exclusion from participation in athletics and/or activities for the remainder of the school year.
*DRUG OR ALCOHOL USE OR POSSESSION AT A TEAM/ACTIVITY FUNCTION WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL FROM THE TEAM FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON AND THE STUDENT BEING SENT HOME AT PERSONAL EXPENSE.
My signature below acknowledges that I have read and agree to the terms of this contract.
Signature of Student ___________________________________________ Date ____________
*All conditions of the Athletic Participation Contract apply to the participant, even if the student is 18 years old.