Programs & Activities
Willow Wind provides a strong academic foundation while helping students develop a clear sense of self and membership in the community. With this sense of belonging students become confident, thoughtful members of the larger society. By embracing place based learning practices, we integrate Willow Windís unique property as a learning tool.
We are taking what we do a step further by training ourselves and our students in practices of Education for Sustainability. Education for Sustainability connects skill based knowledge, inquiry (questioning) and community action. The lense of Education for Sustainability is simple, make a difference for our people and planet.
We embrace Education for Sustainability by:
- Having high expectations of our teaching and learning practices.
- Guiding students to see beyond their personal perspective to how their learning can affect the people, environment, and community around them.
- Implementing highly engaging standards based curriculum that expands the learners experience beyond acquiring basic skills.
- Empowering students to be critical thinkers and creative problem solvers.
- Inspiring our students to be active, responsible and productive citizens of their communities, now and in the future.
- Using the unique Willow Wind site as a living laboratory for students to learn about our environment while taking responsibility for the caretaking and preservation of the property.
- Building partnerships through community outreach and service learning projects
Above all, it is our goal to embrace the opportunity to share in the love of learning with our students. Together we develop the knowledge, academic skills, and awareness essential to creating and maintaining sustainable communities. It is a way to make a real and lasting impact on the world, while internalizing life long learning.
For more information about our project based service learning, click on a link on the menu to the left.