Monday, November 28, 2005

Ashland School District No. 5, Jackson County, Oregon - The Budget Committee met in a work session on November 28, 2005, at 7:00 p.m. in the Ashland School District Board Room.  Present were:

 

Ruth Alexander            )

Amy Amrhein               )

Mat Marr                     )

Heidi Parker                 )            Budget Committee Members

Amy Patton                  )

Rick Barth                    )

Carol Davis                  )

Chris Holzshu               )

Keith Massey               )

Mike Zodrow               )

           

Juli Di Chiro, Superintendent

Pam Lucas, Business Manager

District Administrators

Media Representative

Jeanne Peterson, Executive Secretary

 

 

I.          Call to Order

 

            The meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Chair Barth.

 

II.         Roll Check

 

            A roll of the Committee was taken and all members were present with the exception of Mat Marr.  Mat Marr arrived at 7:05 p.m.

 

III.               Budget Update

 

Rick Barth confirmed that all members will receive information by email.  If a document cannot be opened, members may contact Rick Barth or the district office.

 

Pam Lucas explained that the revenue estimate used to develop the 2005-06 budget has increased by approximately $450,000 due to a change in the allocation formula.  Some of the increase will be offset by increased expenses to the ESD to continue some programs.  That amount should be confirmed in January or February.

 

Pam Lucas reviewed a five year projection of school support funds and local revenues for the general fund.  She also reviewed the five year projection of general fund salaries and benefits. 

 

Copies of the handouts are attached hereto and become a part of these minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

IV.       Budget Transparency

 

            Rick Barth reviewed the transparent budget and asked for feedback.

 

            Mike Zodrow was interested in seeing the cost per student, cost per income dollar, and income per student.  He discussed the ability to drill down to identify specific areas of expenditures.  He further explained that he could currently see the cost per school, but not the revenue per school.  He felt principals should be more involved in managing their revenues with the incentive to keep kids in school.

 

            Amy Patton would like to see all of the revenues and expenditures combined so total expenses in all areas are easily identifiable.  She also liked the budget document used by the Tillamook School District as it was easy to read.  She further asked that the monthly financial report be more specific.

 

            Rick Barth suggested appointing a subcommittee, so district staff would not be overwhelmed, to develop some excel models for displaying budget information.

 

            Amy Amrhein wants to see sustainability.  She wants a budget document that is more long-term so it can be forecast beyond two years, to help in decision making.

 

            Rick Barth suggested that the budget be related to policy decisions represented by the AQEM.

 

            Discussion was held regarding the district accounting software.  It was confirmed that the current budget is formatted in the manner in which it must be submitted to the Oregon Department of Education.  Chris Holzshu felt that, since the budget is currently being done in excel, there is no need to change the software.  The data can be easily manipulated to present information in a format that is easier to understand for community members.

 

            Rick Barth reviewed the Elementary Student-Teacher Ratios Model comparisons.

 

            Rick Barth, Keith Massey and Chris Holzshu will work on a subcommittee to develop excel models for identifying and sharing budget information. Mike Zodrow offered to help brainstorm ideas with the committee members.  The subcommittee will keep school board and budget committee members informed of its progress.

 

            Discussion was held on the budget process.  In January a target needs to be set for what the overall budget will cost.  Then the superintendent works closely with administrators to develop a budget over the following two months.  In April, a budget document is presented to the Budget Committee for approval.  This year that document should be sorted in a manner determined by the Budget Committee, and an addendum should be added providing clear breakdowns of information as determined by the Budget Committee.

 

            Copies of the handouts are attached hereto and become a part of these minutes.

 

 

V.        Bond Issues

 

Keith Massey reviewed the Local Option Levy, explaining the issues of inequity.  The reason for having a Local Option Levy would be determined by the district.  Dan Ross, County Assessor would be able to explain the Local Option Levy in more detail. 

 

Amy Amrhein explained the history of the Youth Activity Levy.

 

Several members expressed concern about going for a Local Option Levy because it could jeopardize the bond.

 

VI.       Future Meetings

 

The subcommittee will work to develop some information models.  The Budget Committee will meet on Thursday, January 5, 2006, at 7:00 p.m. in the District Board Room to review that information.

 

VII.            Adjournment

 

            There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.

 

 



Download File
11-28-05 Budget Meeting.pdf

(75.7KB)
 

Today's Events - Sunday October 22 2017
Coed Varsity Water Polo
@
South Salem HS Tournament
- TBA
Upcoming Events - Wednesday October 25 2017
Coed Varsity Cross Country
vs.
5A-3 Midwestern League Championship @ Valley of the Rogue State Park
- 2:30 PM
Employee Corner
Ashland Schools Foundation
Be an ASD Volunteer
Ashland School District - 2017 All Rights Reserved   |   Printer friendly version   |   Site by Project A   | 
Bookmark and Share